The Money Tutor

Monday, January 23, 2006

Save More Money

There are two simple ways to save more money and they are:

1. Make more money
2. Spend less money

If you are unhappy with the amount of money you are saving then look for another job or other sources of income. Try asking for a promotion/raise at work. There are many websites out there giving great advice on the best way of doing this. I can refer you if you'd like. Maybe you know you won't get a promotion/raise at your current job. This means you need to look for a new job. Don't just quit your job tomorrow because you read this. Changing jobs takes time. Start by searching on the internet at websites like hotjobs.com or monster.com. Let the people around you know that you are looking for a new job. I tried this myself and received an overwhelming response from friends and acquaintances. It might not be wise to ask co-workers, unless you REALLY trust them.

Once you find a few jobs that interest you get your resume ready. Do NOT send the SAME resume to different employers. This is what I do. I have a "standard" resume that has almost all my information (accomplishments, work experience, important dates, etc.). Then what I do is look at the job I am applying for and tailor a resume just for that job/position. This makes the resume better because you are only using useful information. You might even consider not mentioning some jobs or hobbies or things that are not related to the position you are applying for. I do this because my resume would be three pages long and no hiring personnel would care to read it. Resumes are ONE PAGE ONLY. Don't even try stretching the margins. If you don't have much work experience put down your community service. Another rule I go by and everyone should to, NEVER LIE! Here is a wrap-up:

1. Resume should be one page
2. Never lie
3. Tailor your resume
4. Proofread

Get some tips on interviews from the websites I mentioned. If you need any specific help, feel free leave a comment or e-mail me.

As for spending less money, I will be posting about that soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home